We totally understand the concern that the COVID-19 outbreak situation is causing; especially if you are due to depart in the near future.
Your health, safety and welfare (and that of our staff and leaders) is our highest priority, and we are monitoring the situation constantly. As always we adhere rigidly to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advice, and are following updates and guidelines laid down by the World Health Organisation (WHO) and Public Health England, as well as government advice from other countries around the world.
Please be assured that we will contact you directly if we have any concerns about the holiday on which you are booked.
If you are not due to depart within the next month, up to 30th April 2020, please see below for our Updates and Advice, which includes answers to a number of frequently asked questions, as well as links to websites with the most up to date information, such as the FCO. Otherwise feel free to contact the Adventure Peaks team on 015394 33794. Please be aware we are handling a higher volume of calls so we’d be grateful for your patience in getting through to us.
Thank you for your continued support.
Adventure Peaks Travel Policy in respect of the Coronavirus outbreak
The current situation with regard to restrictions for entry to and movement within individual countries, and regions within countries, is very fluid and we will update our clients individually if there is any change, which affects their holiday. We also advise all our clients due to travel in the coming weeks to keep abreast of developments using the links at the bottom of this page, which will provide the most up-to-date information on the situation. For clients booked on to trips departing beyond June, we request that you hold off making any decisions at this stage and we will review the situation in May.
What happens if you cannot run my holiday due to Coronavirus? – If we cannot operate your holiday, we will contact you to discuss your alternatives.
Can I delay payment for my holiday? – Unless we have updated you individually to advise that you should delay payment, your final balance is due on the date specified in your booking confirmation.
What if I want to change my booking? – For those people travelling before June, if the FCO deem it safe to travel to your holiday destination, but you do not wish to travel, our normal terms for transfers will apply. We would be sympathetic to any particular concerns you might have, so please give us a call first.
Links to official sites
We encourage you to use the links below for further information and the latest updates on the situation.