Expedition departing 12th October 2013. Leader and news updates: Zac Poulton
5th November: A loooong day but we’re all back safe in KTM and have met up with Chris. 8 hrs being bounced around in a jeep on one of the worlds most hair raising roads followed by 6 hrs in a bus were worth it for hot showers and real beds. Now a few days enjoying KTM and working on the rehydration.
4th November: 8 hrs of trekking brought us to the road at Koto for a lemonade or two. We walked into BC in bad weather so it was great to follow the twists and turns of this very impressive gorge under blue skies. Two of the the best days trekking you’ll get in Nepal.
3rd November: The team have begun their trek back to KTM passing through the stunning gates of phu. Chris took the easier and even more spectacular of a helo ride direct to a steak and beer. We are currently at Kyang, an ancient and almost deserted tibetan village at the foot of phu gorge with good views of Pisang peak and Annapurna 2. Our mountain fitness has meant we’ve left our mules for dust so a chilly wait for the rest of our kit.
2nd November: today was….. plenty of eating and ….. zzzzzzzzzzz! we’re back on the trail tomorrow heading for the busy Annapurna circuit and on wards to Kathmandu for 4 days time.
1st November: the 1st of the month was spent enjoying some rest and relaxation at Base Camp. showers, pizza, chips, beer, whisky were the order of the day followed by the Jack Reacher movie on the worlds smallest screen.
31st October: After everyone’s efforts yesterday it was a long day back to Base Camp today where everyone is enjoying a dram of whisky and repairing their war wounds. Good snow conditions meant Paul could ski from Camp Two. A lazy day in store tomorrow before we begin our trek home. Zac
30th October: Magical day in Nepal with 9 members inc 4 sherpas on top of Himlung Himal at 7126m inc as far as we understand it Paul 2nd ever Brit and 1st Lancastrian, Karin is 1st Danish and Carrie 1st British women. 10 hrs ascent along a corniced ridge and steep snow slopes. The last members are staggering back into Camp 3 before a stunning Annapurna sunset and 1/4 moon. The weather is clear and cold with a fresh wind. Back to Base Camp tomorrow, clearing the mountain as we go. Zac
29th October: The team are lazing in the sunshine at Camp 3 at 6370m. The high winds never materialised and after the steep pull over the serac protecting Camp 2, we enjoyed a short day wandering up a broad snow ridge to our exposed col camp. The summit has come into view for the first time since the trek in, the fixed lines are in place and we leave for our summit bid at 2am local time (roughly 8pm GMT). We are aiming to be on top for 9am local time. Blue skies to the whole team. Zac
28th October: All 5 members of the team plus our 4 sherpas – Purba, Kama, Pasang and Lhakpa are at Camp Two after a long day. A big storm blew through the Annapurna range to our South West giving us some very dramatic views. We stayed in the sunshine but were battered by a cold wind which was moving a lot of snow around. Our route was safe but there was plenty of avalanche activity around. Tomorrow is a far shorter day so we get a lie in until the sun hits our tents around 9am:) Zac
27th October: Rest day at Base Camp today. Time for showers and washing. Pete, Jim and Ken flew back to Kathmandu this morning. The helicopter brought beer which we thought was a good swap! Our lo also paid a visit from Phu. Final prep tonight and off for our summit bid, straight to Camp two tomorrow then Camp three and the top on the 30th. Weather more typical with cloud and wind in the afternoon but still good overall. Zac
26 October: Everyone is safely back down at Base Camp enjoying the O2. Unfortunately Jim, Pete and Ken have decided that they’ll finish their attempt here. The rest of the team will be heading back up the mountain in a couple of days on their summit bid. Temps are dropping but the weather remains good. Zac
25th October: 5 of the team are now brewing up at Camp 2 (6100m) perched right on the edge above Camp 1. Views are amazing towards Machupuchare, Annapurna and Dhaulageri. Over the serac behind us the route is open to Camp 3 with easy snow slopes over the subsidiary dome. Tomorrow the team will return to Base Camp for a rest before their summit bid. The second team are following a similar program but 2 days later so will be up to Camp 1 Tomorrow after a rest day today. Zac
24th October: The fin of Himlung Himal is climbed after crossing a 6500m glaciated dome and descending to the Col of Camp 3. Most of the team are now bedding down at Camp 1 at 5670m in a real suntrap of a Cwm on the other side of the dome. Camp 2 is nestled directly above us. Today’s route wriggled its way up the glacier through crevasses and stable Seracs. Pete, Jim and Ken are using the day for extra acclimatisation and just touched Camp 1 today moving up to Camp 2 Tomorrow. Zac
23rd October: We’re enjoying perfect weather at Base Camp. With a leisurely start before a great Puja. The Lama from Phu Gompa gave us his blessing. Plenty of local wine and rum consumed. After lunch we did a spot of fixed line training and then an acclimatisation walk. Several of the team almost got to Camp 1 reaching 5600m. Begin our 1st rotation to Camp 2 tomorrow. Zac
21st October: We have arrived in a village entertainingly called ‘Phu’ at 4000 meters which is our final days trekking before reaching Base Camp. The weather has now improved and we are all enjoying blue sky’s and sunshine with our first glimpse of Himlung Himal in the distance.
18th October: The team have now arrived at the end of our road to Koto at 2600m. Due to the longer approach than planned we left the main trail at Timang and climbed to 3200m on the Sikles trail for acclimatisation. A couple of the team even decided to have a swim. Tomorrow we turn North away from the busy Annapurna Circuit and head for Himlung Himal.
17th October: We’ve had a welcome respite from the rain this morning with sunshine on the tents. We loaded up 30 mules with our kit for the easy day walk to Dharapani, past the landslide that took out the road. Heavy rain this afternoon. Team are still all fine and coping well with the weather conditions we are being given.
16th October: The team are now at Jagat (1300m), we had an exciting bus journey two days along the muddy new road high above the river. We made a team effort to move a large boulder blocking the road. Thankfully the weather is starting to improve.
15th October: The team are now at Besishar. A Landslide has blocked the road at Tal, so this means the team will have to trek for a further 3 days. The Indian cyclone really seems to be causing problems across the whole of Nepal. The team have experienced torrential rain since their arrival in Nepal on the 13th. The team are all well and are hoping we can pick up new jeeps on the other side of the landslide.
12th October: The team depart from their home countries on their flights to Kathmandu. Once there, they will receive their briefing about the expedition ahead and have some time to enjoy the hustle and bustle, sights and sounds that make up Kathmandu.