was successfully added to your cart.

Lobuche Peak Expedition and Everest Base Camp

By April 22, 2014Current Trips

Leader: David Fisher. Departed 29th March
Read more details on our Lobuche Peak and Everest Base camp trek

22th April: The Lobuche team flew from Lukla this morning, arriving at the hotel around lunchtime. We saw the EBC group for about an hour at the hotel before they headed for the airport and their flight home. The lobuche team have 2 days in Kathmandu before we fly home.

18th April: David has just phoned in to let us know that Lee, himself and the climbing sherpas reached the summit this morning at 9 a.m, so Congratulations! Jacqui unfortunately was not feeling 100% so opted to stay at High Camp at 5250m and Sarah reached 5450m before turning back.

They set off on their summit bid from High Camp at 2.15 a.m. and from the summit there were amazing views with sunrise over Everest, blue skies, light winds and fairly warm temperatures. Once back at High Camp the team decided that they would trek out to Dingboche and stay in a Teahouse tonight before trekking to Namche Bazaar tomorrow.

The day after they will make their way to the Villlage of Lukla and weather permitting will catch flights back to Kathmandu.  They will be slightly ahead of schedule as everyone is keen to get back to the relative luxury of Kathmandu for a few days, and enjoy hot showers and the chance to relax! Well done team!

17th April: The Everest Base Camp team stayed at Dingboche last night and today are making their way to Namche Bazaar. Tomorrow they will trek to Lulka ready for their flights back to Kathmandu.

The Lobuche Peak team, after more fixed line training this afternoon are now at high camp on the mountain. Everyone is well and are excited to be on the mountain. The weather this morning was beautiful, being warm and clear. The cloud came in around lunchtime and now it is snowing lightly. The forecast for the the morning does not look too bad, so depending on how it is, the team aim to set off from their camp at 4a.m. for their summit bid. We wish them lots of luck for their summit attempt!

16th April: Today we set off at 5am to climb Kala Pattar. We summited at 6.30 with a fantastic sunrise and views over the mountains. 3 of our group decided to miss out on the climb after some mild headaches and took a rest day. We arrived back at 8am for breakfast. Another trip followed to Lobuche Base Camp for lunch where our group split with the Everest Base Camp team heading back to Dingboche. We have now stayed at Lobuche Base doing fixed line training and preparing for the Lobuche summit on the 18th or 19th.

14th April: We arrived at Lobuche today and stayed in a local Tea House before moving on to Gorak Shep then up to Everest Base Camp.

13th April: Today was a rest day in Dingboche so we had a gentle walk up to a local peak to acclimatize at 5070m’s.

12th April: Dave and the team are now in Dingboche and all is going well. They arrived around 3pm local time. They have had a busy few days on the trail so to catch up – On the 9th the team trekked from Phakding to Namche Bazaar and arrived mid-afternoon. The 10th April the team went up to the Everest View hotel to see the stunning panoramic views of Everest, Lhotse, Nuptse and Ama Dablam. The group found this a truly amazing sight to see it with their own eyes for the first time. They then had lunch before visiting the Monastery at Khumjung to see the alleged Yeti scalp. Some of the team even managed to find a sauna in Namche which was a welcome surprise. On the 11th the team trekked to Tengboche where the main monastery for the Khumbu is located.

Tomorrow is another acclimatisation day for the team so they may ascend one of the local peaks around Dingboche or head up to Chukkhung for lunch and spend a bit of time at a slightly higher altitude than Dingboche. Monday they will head to Lobuche en-route to Everest base camp.

7th April pm: Lee, Sarah, Jacqui, Steve and David had an explore of Lukla, including visiting a temple during the morning. The remainder of our team managed to get onto a helicopter and arrived in Lukla by 1pm so were all now together again.

We walked from Lukla to Phakding where we are now and will spend the night. Moving up to Namche Bazaar tomorrow, then having an rest day there the following day as per the itinerary.

7th April am: We had an early start today leaving our Kathmandu hotel at 7am for the airport, we had planned to be on a 9.30am flight to Lukla but the flights were delayed, then all flights cancelled at 1pm due to weather.
With no flights that day, the flights for next few days were fully booked with little to no chance of another flight for a good while.

The group have decided to take the helicopter option to Lukla, with David, Lee, Sarah, Jacqui, & Steve managing to get on a last minute flight taking off around 3pm, landing in Surke (2290m) below Lukla due to cloud conditions. After being met by guide and porters then walked 2 hrs up to Lukla where they stayed the night.

Jennifer, Thomas , Kevin & Roger visited the monkey temple in Kathmandu during the afternoon and spent another night in the hotel.

6th April: everyone arrived at hotel in Kathmandu safely, the last 4 of the group arrived around 9pm, so there was a short chat with everyone before bed.

David Fisher

About David Fisher

I'm a Mountain Instructor based in the Lake District, a keen Summer, Winter and alpine climber, mountain biker, along with a bit of skiing, and enjoy taking the odd photo when I get the opportunity. I'm passionate about taking people into the mountains, weather it be to develop their skills and confidence, or take them on their next adventure. I've been lucky to have the opportunity to both work and play in areas across the UK, Europe, Norway and New Zealand, along with leading expeditions in Tanzania, Russia, Morocco, Nepal, and Kyrgyzstan.


Leave a Reply


Your Cart