1st October: Everyone back to Kathmandu now afer being picked up by helicopter. Return details are being organised.
29th September: After moving to camp 2, all clients made the decision to end our summit attempt. The team are happy and well after our attempts to replace gear after the avalanche at camp 3.
We saw that many teams immediately packed up but our Sherpas worked really hard despite the conditions and extra requirements to replanish the gear. As we are the only team who were at camp 3 that day and still put our efforts into a continued effort on the mountain we feel we did everything we could to continue.
27th September: The team are keen to have a closer look at the mountain. We are going to head to camp 1 today. I have sorted replacement gear and another Sherpa to help compensate with the lost load carries as this will be the last shot I think time wise. The guys are not able to stay on longer due to work etc bar maybe a day or two. We have kit to collect at camp 1 anyway so it won’t be a wasted trip.
The fixing team are meant to be trying to fix above 3 but haven’t heard much yet, if they pull then I think it’s over. It will be too steep to short rope with big packs and there would be a lack of time and man power in Base Camp to reorganize a new/willing fixing team I’d guess.
23rd September: We have had news this morning that there was a major avalanche at camp 3 on Manaslu at approximately 12.30am this morning. The Adventure Peaks team are all safe and well at base camp, but there are reports of several missing people who were up at the camp. Our thoughts are with those missing and their families at this uncertain time.
19th September: Light snow again today but feels generally drier than last few days. Todays photo is of the morning we woke up to, this was the first break in the snow fall/rain since we have been at BC and on day 19 our first actual view of Manaslu!
Sherpas have been up to Camp 1 today to have a look so will know how much snow has fallen at camp 1 later. Our plan was to start for camp 3 push tomorrow spending a night at each camp.
17th September: We had a epic 3 hour puja today, mainly under a tarp, like trying to have a puja on the Cairngorm plateau in November… All looking good for a carry to Camp 1 tomorrow. Had some snow lower down last night but is meant to be nice above the cloud, ie. Camp 2 upwards.
16th September: Snow has followed us down to Base Camp last night. We have had fairly constant rain/snow over last few days but the team are all well and resting at Base Camp after returning from Camp 1 yesterday. Weather is due to improve in the next few days and is looking better higher up. More photos after we visit Camp 3.
14th September: The walk in to BC has been great, the entire walk follows a waterfall packed river all the way to Samagaun. We have enjoyed the full spectrum of climates on route, from the tropics of Arughat to the narrow ravines around Jagat, and now finally to the toe of the glacier and BC.
The team are well and have been moving fast to Samaguan. We made a nice acclimatisation walk up to a remote monastery at about 4100M and carried out a radio brief and some fixed rope practice whilst in Samagaun. Yesterday we made the move to BC at 4800M. We took this slowly and have spent the day today adjusting to the altitude and making the finishing touches to BC. We have a comfortable BC set up now, most of which is built on levels dug out from the scree as the usual area is very busy, the Manaslu BC currently is more like a large village with hundreds of tents and the full range of nationalities.
Tomorrow we have the Puja penned in and some gear sorting to do, after that we intend to start with a carry to camp 1,probably the day after. We currently are having persistent afternoon rain with better mornings, the fresh snow line looks to be above camp 2 from the glimpses I’ve had so that is good news as the slopes below are often the ones to watch. News from the mountain so far is that the route is in good condition and teams have been at least to camp 3.
So all in all everything is going well, the team are strong and happy so far. Will be in touch.
Paddy and Team…
12th September: The team are all well and have arrived at Lho village. We have been doing some acclimatisation walks and fixed line skills in preparation for heading to Base Camp tomorrow.
Yesterday we made the move to BC at 4800M. We took this slowly and have spent the day today adjusting to the altitude and making the finishing touches to BC. We have a comfortable BC set up now, most of which is built on levels dug out from the scree as the usual area is very busy, the Manaslu BC currently is more like a large village with hundreds of tents and the full range of nationalities.
5th September: The group are now in Liding near to Soti Khola.
4th September: All well and in Arughat via Dhading. We had a good 4×4 wheel drive here. Many teams got stuck on the way although we were okay. 32 Expeditions are on the way to Mansalu as we speak.
3rd September: Paddy called in today to say the team arrived without any problems yesterday and today they have made their final preparations ready for starting their journey to base camp. Tomorrow the group will drive to Arughat and spend the night and then start their trek proper on Wednesday.
1st September: The team are flying out today. We all wish them a great trip!