Himlung Himal 15th October 2022
Leader: Stu Peacock
Follow Stu and the team here:
At 3am Nepal time the team set off for the Summit, they were lucky that there was very little wind but it was still a very cold summit night, as has been the norm on all our Himlung Summits so the team were kitted up and ready for this.
The first group reached the summit at 8.30 am with the final team members reaching the summit at 11.15am
It has been a long but enjoyable day and everyone is very happy with the summit success.
The team have all returned to Camp 2, where I'm pretty sure they will go straight to bed after their dinner. Tomorrow the team will return to base camp, before starting the trek out the following day.
Fantastic effort by Stu, our Sherpas, and the entire team.
Stu called in today to give us an update and check the weather forecast.
They are at camp 3 and feeling good to attempt the summit in the early hours of tomorrow morning. The weather was cold on the Col up to camp 3 but they kept a good pace. The weather at the moment is clear and they can see the summit approximately 700 meters above them. The forecast is also good for tomorrow with clear skies and a little wind. Tomorrow evening they plan to stay at camp 2 but they are keeping an open mind to carry on to camp 1.
In less exciting news, breakfast consisted of cornflakes sprinkled with chocolate biscuits. mmm 🥣🍫
We wish the team good luck for the summit bid. We'll update you as soon as we hear.
They've reached camp two in really good time. They will be spending the night there as part of the acclimatisation process. The team are all doing well and feeling positive about the progress made to prepare for summiting next week. The weather has been super and they have been fortunate to have a good view of the top of Himlung and the surrounding mountains such as Anapurna IV.
Tomorrow the team will return to basecamp where they will rest before attempting the summit bid. We'll be monitoring the mountain weather forecast along with the leader Stu to pick the best possible time to leave basecamp to approach the summit via camp 2 and 3.
Stu called today to give us a brief update, they arrived at base camp yesterday. The weather's been great and they are all settled in nicely.
They have been working on rope & crampon skills. What a location to be gaining mountaineering experience!
I'm not going to lie, even in a jeep this road is very bumpy, but we've made good progress so far. We managed to make it as far as Danaque in four hours, where we are currently having our lunch stop.
It's with great relief, by the team, after another bouncy journey, that we arrived in Koto just after 3pm. Thankfully that's the end of our road journey and tomorrow the start of our trek to base camp.
It's noticeably colder here at just under 2700m, but the fire has been put on in the dining room so everyone has been enjoying a relaxing brew. The clouds closed in a bit this afternoon, but have shifted again this evening and we have been rewarded with some stunning views of Annapurna II.
Tomorrow we depart from the Annapurna Circuit and take the trail to Meta.
We have arrived in Besisahar. 8 hours of very bumpy roads, but Binod, our driver took great care in negotiating the numerous pot holes and mounds from the recent land slides. We stopped at mugling for our lunch on the way. We also too grab some views of the snowy peaks of Manaslu, Lumjung and Annapurna 2.
All the team have now arrived. After breakfast we talked through the plans for the next few days. Kit checks have been completed and last minute purchases are under way. The food shop will be done shortly and then we'll have the afternoon to relax.
Tomorrow the adventure really begins, we'll breakfast at 7am and then plan to depart after that. We expect to take around 7 hours to get to Besisahar, but will stop for lunch along the way at Muglung or Kuringtar. Shiva, our Base Camp manager and Phurbar Ongel, our climbing sirdar will travel with us. We will meet the rest of the staff at Koto, the day after tomorrow.
The team will depart for Nepal on the 15th October. They will have a day of final preparations in Kathmandu on the 17th and then drive to Besisarhar on the 18th October. In the last week central Nepal has been severly affected by heavy snows showers and rain lower down. As a result of this some sections of the road to Koto may be affected by landslides, which if not cleared, will mean the team will need to trek some of the road sections between transports.
Stu Peacock is a very experienced high altitude mountaineer who has been to the Summit of Everest, Broad Peak, Cho Oyu and climbed on K2. His other expeditions include: Manaslu, Ama Dablam, Peak Lenin, Aconcagua, Khan Tengri, Tien Shan Unclimbed, Korzhenevskaya, Himlung Himal, Baruntse, Mera & Island Peak, Alpamayo, Bolivian Peaks, Spantik, Elbrus, Mt Kenya and Kilimanjaro. He was the first Brit to summit Everest via the North Ridge 3 times and has climbed Everest from both the North & South sides.