Lobuche Peak is a beautiful mountain ideal for those people who have been on Kilimanjaro or Elbrus, or have climbed in the alps and are looking for their next expedition to perhaps tackle their first Himalayan Peak. We approach Lobuche via the sacred lakes of the Gokyo Valley and visit the magnificent viewpoint Gokyo Ri (5350m). Crossing the famous Cho La Pass (5420m) to the South side of Everest brings us to Lobuche to climb Lobuche Peak (6119m), our main objective with its panoramic views that will remain with you forever. After an optional trip up to Everest Base Camp if time allows, we return to Lukla along the famous Khumbu Valley, with its diverse wildlife and vegetation, as well as its rich culture, where villages and rustic dwellings have seemingly scrambled up to perch atop rocky outcrops and vertiginous ledges. A truly memorable experience closely following the footsteps of legendary mountaineers
Lobuche Peak via Gokyo Ri
Altitude 6119m, Grade 2B
Lobuche is a beautiful mountain ideal for those people who have been on expeditions such as Kilimanjaro or Elbrus, or have climbed in the Alps and are looking for their next expedition to tackle their first Himalayan Peak.
- Dates and Prices
- Trip Dossier
- What's included
- What's excluded
- Reviews (5)
Lobuche Peak via Gokyo and Everest Base camp
Days 1/2 International flights depart and arrive in Kathmandu the following evening. Transfer to hotel close to the famous bustling Thamel district of Kathmandu and within easy walking distance of the Monkey temple and the relaxing Garden of Dreams.
Day 3 A spectacular short internal flight takes us to the tiny airstrip town of Lukla and the gateway to the Sherpa Kingdom. After lunch we walk along the typically stony path that descends from the forested terraces of Lukla right into the Dudh Kosi (‘milk river’) valley and the brightly painted lodges of Phakding. Good views of Kusum Kanguru’s North Face (6367m). 2 hours walking.
If the flight is delayed due to poor weather this will become the sightseeing day scheduled for the end of the trip.
Day 4 Into the Sherpa capital and heart of the Khumbu, Namche Bazaar. You will now be becoming familiar with local protocol for passing chortens, mani stones, yaks, spinning prayer wheels etc. and enjoying the hustle and bustle of trekking and everyday life that exists on the ‘Everest Trail’. At Monjo we enter the Sagarmatha National Park. 5 to 6 hours walking.
Day 5 It is important to have a couple of nights and a rest day in Namche before proceeding any higher. You can spend day 5 taking short walks up to Thame or Khumjung, visiting the Everest, Ama Dablam and Pumori viewpoints or just relaxing and exploring the narrow streets of the busy Sherpa capital.
Day 6 We head NE up the side of the Dudh Kosi. We climb steeply out of Namche, turn the corner and are immediately presented with superb views of Everest, Lhotse, and Nuptse. 4 to 5 hours walking.
Day 7 This is a short walk in distance but involves a height gain of 420m so it is important to do this slowly to aid acclimatisation. 4 to 5 hours walking.
Days 8/9 This again is another shortish day, level to start with, but with an overall height gain of 400m it is worth taking it slow. 5 to 6 hours walking.
More acclimatisation on day 9 spent absorbing the views from the ridge above the village and relaxing.
Day 10 As you walk to Gokyo taking in views of Cho Oyu, the World’s sixth highest mountain, you will pass the two Gokyo lakes and end your day at Gokyo village at 4790m. 5 to 6 hours walking.
Day 11 Ascent of Gokyo Ri (5340m). This peak gives fantastic views of Everest, Lhotse, Nuptse, Makalu, Cho Latse, Thamserku, Kantega and Ama Dablam. No rush and the rest of the day free for relaxation and sampling Gokyo’s finest bakery. 3 to 5 hours walking.
Day 12 Today we cross 1km of glacier to its eastern side and continue to the lodges at Dragnag at the foot of the valley leading towards the Cho La pass. 3 to 4 hours walking.
Day 13 A long day as we head over the Cho La pass (5368m). A steep climb through boulders leads to the pass from where we are rewarded with more spectacular views. We descend to Lobuche
on the main trail to EBC. 8 to 10 hours walking.
Day 14 Ascend to Lobuche Peak High Camp (5300m)
Day 15 Summit Day From high camp we make an early start to gain access to the glacier over rocky slabs. The glacier is quite crevassed but provides a wonderful route along a snow arête to the summit ridge. Most parties climb to the summit of Lobuche East (6000m). The true summit is further along the ridge, involving a higher degree of technical climbing, and is rarely climbed. The summit gives fantastic views over the whole of the Khumbu and Everest. Descend to High Camp or Lobuche village.
Day 16 Spare Summit Day or optional trek to Everest Base Camp or ascent of Kala Pattar. Return to Lobuche.
Day 17 Descend to Debuche.
Day 18 Debuche to Namche Bazaar.
Day 19 Namche Bazaar to Lukla.
Day 20 Fly Lukla to Kathmandu. Back to the comforts of our hotel in Thamel and the enjoyable hustle and bustle. This is a good time to buy souvenirs and try your hand at haggling with the local shopkeepers. Time to celebrate!
Days 21/22 Depart Kathmandu and arrive UK.
- International flights from London (Flight inclusive package)
- A British expedition team leader. Small groups may use a local leader.
- Permits, charges, importation taxes and levies payable to the Local Authorities in connection with the expedition.
- Transfers to and from the in-country airport if flights booked with Adventure Peaks
- Food, fuel and cooking equipment whilst on the mountain.
- Hotel accommodation in Kathmandu on a Bed & Breakfast basis.
- All tents and other communal equipment necessary for the climb.
- Medical safety equipment and supplies
- Communication equipment (each member on a Grade 3B or above are normally provided with a radio whilst on the mountain and the team is often supported with a Satellite Telephone and e-mail facilities on extended expeditions at Base Camp).
- 90 – 120 litre kit bag for expedition members for UK based clients. A logoed top will be substituted for all clients residing outside of the UK and for returning clients
- 15% off the RRP on clothing and equipment purchased from Adventure Peaks shop
- Personal climbing clothes and equipment.
- Personal insurance, visas, departure tax and inoculations.
- Travel to and from UK airport (unless otherwise specified).
- Transfers to and from the in-country airport if flights NOT booked with Adventure Peaks
- Drinks and hotel or guest house meals, unless specified.
- Personal medical supplies and personal use of communication equipment.
- Excess baggage.
- Tips for porters and local guides.
- Costs associated with an expedition finishing early or you leaving an expedition early
- Costs associated with extending a trip due to bad weather or other circumstances including the cost of extra nights accommodation, and if required the helicopter cost to and from Lukla
(including a share of the leaders cost)
It is vitally important that you have adequate travel insurance for your trip with Adventure Peaks. We recognise the complexity and variety of choice in the insurance market and know that many of you either have your own preferred insurer or have annual multi trip cover in place already. If this is the case, please ensure that your insurer is aware of your Adventure Peaks itinerary and can agree to cover the activities being undertaken.
Adventure Peaks do not provide any advice on travel insurance, although it is a requirement of our booking conditions that you have travel insurance which covers the activities which you are likely to be undertaking on your holiday. Cover must include emergency medical, helicopter evacuation, repatriation and rescue expenses.
It is strongly recommended that suitable cancellation insurance is purchased at the time of booking as all deposits are non-refundable and non-transferable.
Suggested insurance companies include:
Expeditions or Treks
- HCC Medical Insurance Services LLC Tel: +1-800 605 2282
- Travelex Insurance Services Tel: +1-800 228 9792
- True Traveller Insurance Tel: 0333 999 3140 for treks including over 4500m
- Austrian Alpine Club (UK) Tel: +44 (0)1929 556870
- Snowcard Tel: +44 (0)1295 660836
- The B.M.C. Tel: +44 (0)161 445 6111 (please note the BMC cannot cover Mt Damavand)
- Dogtag Tel: 0800 036 4824 (UK residents only)
- World Nomads (up to 6000m)
- Insure for Less (Australians only)
How many people
Everest from the Air £270 An early morning spectacular flight over Everest. The flight is from Kathmandu and lasts around one hour, taking you close to Everest and its surrounding peaks. Window seats are guaranteed. Includes an extra night's accommodation in Kathmandu.
Chitwan Safari at Tigerland Resort £495 (+4 days) You can round off your trip with a 3-night / 4-day wildlife safari in Chitwan National Park. This includes an unforgettable jeep safari, river canoe trip, a full day walking safari, elephant ride and a trip to the elephant stables. The price is inclusive of Park Permits and lodge accommodation with all meals from lunch on day 1 to breakfast on your day of departure. One night's accommodation in Kathmandu after your safari is included. Travel by vehicle from Kathmandu and return flight to Kathmandu. Flights from Kathmandu to Chitwan can be arranged for a supplement of £105.00. Price based on twin rooms staying at the Tigerland Safari Resort. Single supplement of £240.00 applies.
Chitwan Safari at Parkland Resort £395 (+4 days) You can round off your trip with a 3-night / 4-day wildlife safari in Chitwan National Park. This includes an unforgettable jeep safari, river canoe trip, a full day walking safari, elephant ride and a trip to the elephant stables. The price is inclusive of Park Permits and lodge accommodation with all meals from lunch on day 1 to breakfast on your day of departure. One night's accommodation in Kathmandu after your safari is included. Travel by vehicle from Kathmandu and return flight to Kathmandu. Flights from Kathmandu to Chitwan can be arranged for a supplement of £105.00. Price based on twin rooms staying at the Parkland Jungle Safari Resort. Single supplement of £195.00 applies.
DepositsThe Initial Deposits for this booking will be :£400 per Person
|7th Apr 2019 - 27th Apr 2019
|5th May 2019 - 25th May 2019
|6th Oct 2019 - 26th Oct 2019
|20th Oct 2019 - 9th Nov 2019
|26th Apr 2020 - 16th May 2020
|27th Sep 2020 - 17th Oct 2020
|18th Oct 2020 - 7th Nov 2020
|With UK Flight dates||Availability||Days||Price||Book|
|6th Apr 2019 - 28th Apr 2019
|4th May 2019 - 26th May 2019
|5th Oct 2019 - 27th Oct 2019
|19th Oct 2019 - 10th Nov 2019
|25th Apr 2020 - 17th May 2020
|26th Sep 2020 - 18th Oct 2020
|17th Oct 2020 - 8th Nov 2020